Winter in Europe

Just a quick update… I’ve just come from 5 days in London, where I saw two plays, a ballet and the French Property show. Also spent a day out in the countryside with a friend where we played with birds of prey – holding them on fast-wearying outstretched left arms in a heavy leather gauntlet. Eagles, hawks, owls, kestrels.  Played come and get ’em holding out  parts of dead day-old baby chicks (you hafta forget about that) and getting cool photos of the birds landing with outspread wings.

Now at the end of my 2nd full day in Edinburgh. Visited the Royal Yacht Britannia and I’m on my way to the Castle for the first time in 5 visits.

Tomorrow, head to Glasgow for the flight back to Iceland for a few days, hoping to see the Aurora Borealis.

Pictures and more complete posts in a week or so.

This entry was posted in General magpie travel. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Winter in Europe

1. pat spencer from HIcksville says:

I enjoy your comments. I will be in UK first two weeks of March and want to see sometheatre, music and museum shows and suggestions?

• suzykewct says:

I can think of a bunch; will let you know.

• suzykewct says:

I apologize for the long delay. When I was in London, I went to see a few things, all closed now, I think – RSC’s Richard II at the Barbican (the RSC has left London, presumably until next winter), Le Corsaire, a ballet at the English National Ballet, though if they are still having a winter season and if you enjoy ballet, go see Junor Souza, a young, very powerful and magnetic personality. His Ali in Corsaire brought the house down! I also saw Oedipus Retold, an off-West End production in a tiny theatre.

If I’d had more time, I would have queued for returns for Tom Hiddleston’s Coriolanus at the Donmar Warehouse (always a great venue for high quality stuff, though small enough that it can sell out fast – and Coriolanus is being broadcast by satellite courtesy of NT Live). I also wanted to see Strangers on a Train, King Lear (Simon Russell Beale), Fortune’s Fool and Duck House. LondonTheatre.co.uk has a comprehensive list of what is showing and when, as well as opening and closing dates.

Another tip – subscribe to emails from Time Out London, What’s OnStage, Last Minute.com. All of these have deals on tickets and can give you a heads-up on what’s hot in London. And if you know your free dates, booking tickets online ahead of time can avoid queuing for returns.

I’m not big on musicals, but there are deals to be had if that’s your preferred style.

Other productions I’ve seen that are still running and which I’d recommend are The Woman in Black and War Horse.

Have a great trip!

• pat spencer from HIcksville says:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I too am not usually crazy for musicals and I love the opera and ballet. I will try those web sites

2. Maryevelyn says:

Nice to get an update! I sure hope that you will see the Aurora. Take lots of pictures!

• suzykewct says:

Went out last night for the aurora. The good news is that there were some bits of northern lights in the sky. The not-so-good news is that they were not the stunning colors from the travel brochures, more like greenish clouds that came and went. Am considering another try in a day or two, depending on cloud cover. Glad I packed enough layers; standing in the dark at about freezing temp for an hour can be chilling. Woke up today to wind-driven flurries that changed to wind-driven rain. Sun comes up around 10 am, cars have studded tires and I should have brought the ice treads for my boots. Still, having a great time. Reykjavik has boomed a lot even since Dad and I were here in 2002. Mentioning that visit and Dad’s posting here in WWII is still a big ‘ice-breaker’.

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s